Healthy and Happy

 Well, I'm sorry that I am a bad blogger. It is what it is.

This post is dedicated to my new found love for healthy, clean, whole foods and fitness. I recently joined a gym and began eating healthy (long overdue, I know). It was not easy in the beginning because I am a candy and dessert junky. I have pretty much had to cut ties with all of those sweets, but I have discovered some yummy replacements. Having a garden has really helped with the healthy eating: free fresh produce! I have several people in my life who have really inspired me (cough, cough..Ariel) and several others who have changed their lives for the better.

Here are some healthy recipes that I have tried recently:

 







 This is a red, white and blue trifle. Angel food cake(fat free), fat free cool whip, blueberries and strawberries. You can change the fruit to fit the holiday (or your preference). It was a big hit!
 







 











I found the best replacement for those greasy, fattening potato chips: kale chips. I use two bunches of kale, a little Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, evoo and sea salt. They have the same crunch as potato chips, but so much cheaper and healthier.


























Whole wheat blueberry muffins, baked green tomatoes, zucchini chips and more kale chips.
































































My new favorite recipe. Well, I don't know that that is true, but this is DELICIOUS! Sweet Cinnamon Popcorn. I found a recipe on Pinterest and modified it based on what I had on hand. I cooked the popcorn in a pot on the stove. About half a cup of popcorn kernels. For the cinnamon mixture I used 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of honey, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash or 4 of salt. Melt, pour, bake--enjoy!






















Hummus! A friend helped me make this, but I think the recipe goes something like..one can of garbanzo beans, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, minced garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Very simple, fast and yummy!

 If anyone has advice on health/fitness, I would love to hear it! As far as fitness goes, I have a trainer who has helped me develop a workout schedule that seems to be going well. Every week I do cardio on at least 5 days of the week. I also do resistance (strength training) from 2-4 times per week. I've been enjoying trying new forms of cardio..zumba, bike riding, body combat, yoga, running, elliptical.

If anyone has any information on why we should be putting healthy, clean foods in our bodies instead of the fattening, processed foods, please let me know. Not just, "'cause it's green" or "'cause it's better for ya", more about the science behind it..

Until next time (whenever that may be..)







Comments

Popular Posts